Professor Adekunle Adekile
Between 2013 and 2018, 6 members of the Sickle Cell Support Society of Nigeria were awarded scholarships by the FIOCRUZ Foundation to pursue higher degrees in different Brazilian Universities. They all completed their programs with flying colors and in record time. They were, indeed, worthy ambassadors of the society in particular and Nigeria in general. They are all back in their home institutions, contributing to the care of sickle cell disease patients and leading various research projects. Below are their names, institutions and publications arising from their fellowships. Thanks to Dr. Adegoke for coordinating this compilation. We are indebted to Professor Marilda Gonçalves of FIOCRUZ for arranging the scholarship awards and mentoring the students while they were in Brazil.
A. Dr. Emmanuel Adekunle ALAGBE
State University of Campinas, Campinas,
São Paulo, Brazil.
Degree: Masters in Medical Sciences, 2017
Current Affiliation: Department of Hematology, University College Hospital, Ibadan. However, Dr. Alagbe received another scholarship to complete his PhD degree, which he is about to complete in Campinas.
- Alagbe AE, Justo Junior AS, Ruas LP, Tonassé WV, Santana RM, Batista THC, Domingos IF, Araujo AS, Bezerra MAC, Santos MNN, Blotta MHSL. Interleukin-27 and interleukin-37 are elevated in sickle cell anemia patients and inhibit in vitro secretion of interleukin-8 in neutrophils and monocytes. Cytokine 2018; 107:85–92.
- Domingos IF, Pereira-Martins DA, Sobreira MJ, Oliveira RTD, Alagbe AE, Lanaro C, Albuquerque DM, Blotta MHSL, Araujo AS, Costa FF, Lucena-Araujo AR, Sonati MF, Bezerra MAC, Santos MNN. High levels of proinflammatory cytokines IL-6 and IL-8 are associated with a poor clinical outcome in sickle cell anemia. Annals of Hematology 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-020-03978-8
B. Mr. Okeke CHINEDU
University of Campinas (UNICAMP), Campinas
Year of completion: 2018
Program: MSc (Molecular Haematology)
Current Affiliation: Center of Excellence for Sickle Cell Disease Research and Training, University of Abuja
- Okeke Chinedu, Wouitchékpo Vincent Tonassé, Dulcinéia Martins Albuquerque, Igor de Farias Domingos, Aderson da Silva Araújo, Marcos André Cavalcanti Bezerra, Maria de Fátima Sonati, Magnun Nueldo Nunes dos Santos. Polymorphisms in the heme oxygenase-1 and bone morphogenetic protein receptor type 1b genes and estimated glomerular filtration rate in Brazilian sickle cell anemia patients. Hematology Transfusion Cell Therapy. 2020. doi.org/10.1016/j.htct.2020.01.009.
C. Dr. Bartholomew CHUKWU
Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Degree: MSc., Human Pathology
Year of completion: 2017
Current Affiliation: Department of Pediatrics, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu
D. Dr. Oladele Simeon OLATUNYA
University of Campinas (UNICAMP)
State of São Paulo,
Degree Obtained and Year – PhD (Haematology/ Clinical Pathology)
Current Affiliation: Department of Pediatrics, Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital, Ado-Ekiti.
- Olatunya, O.S., Albuquerque, D.M., Adekile, A.D., Costa, F.F. (2018) Evaluation of
Sociodemographic, Clinical, and Laboratory Markers of Sickle Leg Ulcers among Young Nigerians at a Tertiary Health Institution. Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice 21: 882-887 http://www.njcponline.com/
- Olatunya, O.S., Albuquerque, D.M., Adekile, A., Costa, F.F. (2018). Influence of Alpha Thalassemia on clinical and laboratory parameters among Nigerian Children with sickle cell anemia. Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis 2018;e22656.https//doi.org/10.10002/jcla.22656. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10982825
- Olatunya O.S., Albuquerque D.M., Akanbi G.O., Aduayi O.S., Taiwo A.B., Faboya O.A., Kayode T.S., Leonardo D.P., Adekile A., Costa F.F., (2019) Uridine Diphosphate Glucuronosyl Transferase 1A (UGT1A1) Promoter Polymorphism in young patients with sickle cell anaemia: report of the first cohort study from Nigeria. BMC Medical Genetics 2019; 20:160 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12881-019-0899-3
- Olatunya O.S., Lanaro C., Longhini A.L., Franco-Penteado C.F., Fertrin K.Y., Adekile A., Saad S.T.O., Costa F.F., (2019) Red blood cells microparticles are associated with hemolysis markers and may contribute to clinical events among sickle cell disease patients. Annals of Hematology 2019; 98(11):2507-2521. doi:10.1007/s00277-019-03792-x https://www.springer.com/journal/277
- Olatunya O.S., Albuquerque D.M., Santos M.N.N., Kayode T.S., Adekile A., Costa F.F., (2020) Haptoglobin Gene Polymorphism in Parents with Sickle Cell Anemia: Findings from a Nigerian Cohort Study. The Application of Clinical Genetics 13:107-114.
E. Dr. Uche Samuel NDIDI
Full name: Uche Samuel Ndidi
PhD: Medical Biotechnology and Molecular Epidemiology
Institution: Gonçalo Moniz Institute – Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (FIOCRUZ), Brazil, 2018
Current Affiliation: Department of Biochemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Sètondji Cocou Modeste Alexandre Yahouédéhou, Elisângela Vitória Adorno, Caroline Conceiçăo da Guarda, Uche Samuel Ndidi, Suellen Pinheiro Carvalho, Rayra Pereira Santiago, Milena Magalhăes Aleluia, Rodrigo Mota de Oliveira, Marilda de Souza Gonçalves (2018). Hydroxyurea in the management of sickle cell disease: pharmacogenomics and enzymatic metabolism. The pharmacogenomics Journal. Doi.org/10.1038/s41397-018-0045-1.
- Sètondji Cocou Modeste Alexandre Yahouédéhou, Caroline Conceiçăo da Guarda, Camylla Vilas Boas Figueiredo, Rayra Pereira Santiago, Suellen Pinheiro Carvalho, Luciana Magalhães Fiuza, Uche Samuel Ndidi, Rodrigo Mota de Oliveira, Magda Oliveira Seixas Carvalho, Valma Maria Lopes Nascimento, Larissa Carneiro Rocha, Isa Menezes Lyra, Elisângela Vitória Adorno, Marilda de Souza Gonçalves (2019). Hydroxyurea alters hematological, biochemical and inflammatory biomarkers in Brazilian children with SCA: investigating associations with βS haplotype and α-thalassemia. PLoS ONE, 14(7), e0218040, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0218040.
- Uche Samuel Ndidi, Corynne Stephanie Ahouefa Adanho, Rayra Pereira Santiago, Sètondji Cocou Modeste Alexandre Yahouédéhou, Sanzio Silva Santana, Vitor Valério Maffili, Thassila Nogueira Pitanga, Cleverson Alves Fonseca, Junia Raquel Dutra Ferreira, Elisângela Vitória Adorno, Isa Menezes Lyra, Adekunle D. Adekile, Cynara Gomes Barbosa and Marilda de Souza Gonçalves (2019). Effect of N(epsilon)-(carboxymethyl)lysine on laboratory parameters and its association with βS haplotype in children with sickle cell anemia. Disease markers, Vol. 2019, Article ID 1580485, 1 – 8 https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/1580485.
- Caroline Conceicão da Guarda, Sètondji Cocou Modeste Alexandre Yahoue´de´hou, Rayra Pereira Santiago, Joelma Santana dos Santos Neres, Camila Felix de Lima Fernandes, Milena Magalhães Aleluia, Camylla Vilas Boas Figueiredo, Luciana Magalhães Fiuza, Suellen Pinheiro Carvalho, Rodrigo Mota de Oliveira, Cleverson Alves Fonseca, Uche Samuel Ndidi, Valma Maria Lopes Nascimento, Larissa Carneiro Rocha, Marilda Souza Goncalves (2020). Sickle cell disease: A distinction of two most frequent genotypes (HbSS and HbSC). PLoS ONE 15(1): e0228399. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.022839.
F. Dr. Samuel Ademola ADEGOKE
Federal University of São Paulo (UNIFESP),
São Paulo, Brazil
Degree: PhD (Haematology)
Current Affiliation: Department of Pediatrics, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
TCD in SCD
- Adegoke, S.A., Campos-Macedo, R.S., Braga, J.A.P., Figueiredo, M.S., Silva, G.S. (2018). Changes in Transcranial Doppler Flow Velocities in Children with Sickle Cell Disease: The Impact of Hydroxyurea Therapy. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases 27(2):425–431. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2017.09.020
- Adegoke, S.A., Figueiredo, M.S., Junior, H.C., Idagawa, M.H., Massaro, A.R., Silva, G.S. (2016). Posterior Circulation Evaluation in Patients with Sickle Cell Anemia. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases 25(3):717 – 721. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2015.11.007
- Rodrigues, D.L.G., Adegoke, S.A., Campos-Macedo, R.S., Braga, J.A.P., Figueiredo, M.S., Silva, G.S. (2017). Patients with sickle cell disease are frequently excluded from the benefits of transcranial doppler screening for the risk of stroke despite extensive and compelling evidence. Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria 75(1):15–19. http://doi: 10.1590/0004-282X20160175
- Campos-Macedo, R.S., Adegoke, S.A., Figueiredo, M.S., Braga, J.A.P., Silva, G.S. (2018). Cerebral Vasoreactivity In Children With Sickle Cell Disease: A Transcranial Doppler Study. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases 27(10):2703–2706. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2018.05.042
- Martins, A.C.P., Silva, G.S., Adegoke, S.A., Rodrigues, D.L., Braga, J.A.P., Figueiredo, M.S. (2015). An unexpected full neurological recovery after cardiac arrest in a sickle cell anemia patient with bilateral cervical carotid artery disease. Revista Brasileira de Hematologia e Hemoterapia 37(4):272–274. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bjhh.2015.04.003
Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D in SCD
- Adegoke, S.A, Smith, O.S, Adekile, A.D, Figueiredo, M.S. (2017). Relationship between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and inflammatory cytokines in paediatric sickle cell disease. Cytokine 96:87–93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cyto.2017.03.010
- Adegoke, S.A., Oyelami, O.A., Adekile, A., Figueiredo, M.S. (2017). Influence of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D on the rate of pain episodes in Nigerian children with sickle cell anemia. Paediatrics and International Child Health 37(3):217–221. https://doi.org/10.1080/20469047.2017.1295012
- Adegoke, S.A., Figueiredo, M.S., Adekile, A.D., Braga, J.A.P. (2017). Comparative study of the Growth and Nutritional Status of Brazilian and Nigerian School-aged Children with Sickle Cell Disease. International Health 9: 327–334. doi:10.1093/inthealth/ihx035
- Adegoke, S.A., Braga, J.A.P., Adekile, A., Figueiredo, M.S. (2018). The Association of Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D with Biomarkers of Hemolysis in Pediatric Patients With Sickle Cell Disease. Journal of Paediatric Hematology/ Oncology 40:159–162. doi: 10.1097/MPH.0000000000000783
- Adegoke, S.A., Braga, J.A.P., Adekile, A.D., Figueiredo, M.S. (2018). Impact of Hydroxyurea on Anthropometry and Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D among Children with Sickle Cell Disease. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology 40:e243–e247. DOI: 10.1097/MPH.0000000000001002
- Adegoke, S.A., Smith, O.S., Adeniyi, T.A., Adekile, A.D. (2019). Thrombospondin-1 and Vitamin D in children with sickle cell anemia. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/ Oncology 41:e525–e529. doi: 10.1097/MPH.0000000000001368.
- Adegoke, S.A. (2017). Prevalence and factors influencing serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in children with sickle cell anaemia from South-west Nigeria. Annals of Health Research 3(2):118–125.
- Adegoke, S.A., Kuti, B.P., Omole, K.O., Smith, O.S., Oyelami, O.A., Adeodu, O.O. (2018). Acute chest syndrome in children with sickle cell anaemia: higher serum levels of interleukin-8 and highly sensitive C-reactive proteins are associated with impaired lung function. Paediatrics and International Child Health 38(4):244–250. https://doi.org/10.1080/20469047.2018.1519988
- Vicari, P., Adegoke, S.A., Mazzotti, D.R., Cançado, R.D., Nogutti, M.A.E., Figueiredo, M.S. (2015). Interleukin-1β and interleukin-6 gene polymorphisms are associated with manifestations of sickle cell anemia. Blood Cells, Molecules and Diseases 54:244–249. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bcmd.2014.12.004
- Pierrot-Gallo, B.S., Vicari, P., Matsuda, S.S., Adegoke, S.A., Mecabo, G., Figueiredo, M.S. (2015). Haptoglobin gene polymorphisms and interleukin-6 and -8 levels in patients with sickle cell anemia. Revista Brasileira de Hematologia e Hemoterapia 37(5):329–335. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bjhh.2015.07.006