The Division of Haematology/Oncology at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), in partnership with Dream Legacy Foundation and the Black Innovation Fellowship Program at Ryerson University, is pleased to launch the Dream Maker Inc. Fellowship in Sickle Cell Disease in September 2020.
Directed at paediatricians in sub-Saharan Africa who have completed Paediatric Residency within the last 5 years and have demonstrated interest in patients with sickle cell disease (SCD), this will be an exciting 2-year fellowship based at SickKids and in partnership with Ryerson University. The successful candidate will focus mainly on acquiring further clinical expertise in the care of patients with SCD in their
1st year of training. During their 2nd year of training, the candidate, in partnership with the Black Innovation Fellowship at Ryerson/DMZ, will have the opportunity to work closely with a start-up company that is interested in incubating new technology to help better diagnose, track, or care for people with SCD. This innovative technology will ideally be scalable across the candidate’s country in Africa and by extension the African continent.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to clinical coverage, comprising of attending SCD clinics over the 2 years, and participating in inpatient care of SCD patients and minimal after-hours call.
- The applicant should have completed his/her paediatric residency within the last 5 years
- Applicants who have passed Part I of the National or Regional fellowship exams may be considered
- The applicant should have demonstrated interest in and previous engagement with patient with SCD
- Previous involvement with research projects or publications in SCD will be an advantage
- Previous participation in other extraneous activities that may not be necessarily medical, but with potential to enhance the quality of life of patients with SCD
- Ability to generate original ideas as evidenced by previous project execution. This need not be directly related to SCD
- The applicant should be a citizen of an African country and working in Africa.
Deadline for application is January 31, 2020
Applicants interested, should apply by clicking on the link below. Fellowship Application